Friday, 7 May at 3pm – Launch Oxford’s Environmental Sustainability Strategy
2021 is a crucial year for global action on climate and biodiversity, and the University of Oxford is also stepping up its ambition and action. Recently, the Council approved the Environmental Sustainability Strategy for the University, setting the dual targets to reach net zero carbon and biodiversity net gain by 2035.
On 7 May the Vice Chancellor, Professor Louise Richardson, will launch the University’s Environmental Sustainability Strategy and will discuss next steps with other members of the University and the wider community. At the same event, the annual Oxford Networks for the Environment lecture, given by Professor Yadvinder Malhi, will set out how Oxford’s research is contributing to addressing global environmental challenges. There will also be a briefing on the ambitious new Oxford Net Zero programme, by the newly appointed programme lead, Professor Sam Fankhauser.
Join our event to hear about the bigger picture of the University’s role and commitments, the Environmental Sustainability Strategy and the following steps to achieve its goals, and how it contributes to local, national and global goals through its research teaching.
The event is hosted by the Oxford Networks for the Environment (ONE), the University’s Environmental Sustainability team, Oxford Net Zero and other partners.
3.00pm Welcome and introduction: Harriet Waters, Head of Environmental Sustainability, University of Oxford
VC opening remarks: Louise Richardson, Vice-Chancellor, University of Oxford
Big picture of the University’s role and commitments.
Sustainability Strategy launch: David Prout, Pro-Vice Chancellor, Planning and Resources, University of Oxford
Briefing on the sustainability strategy; what it is, what next?
Oxford Net Zero: Sam Fankhauser, Director, ONZ, SoGE, University of Oxford University
A pre-launch briefing on Oxford Net Zero: its scope, ambition and action plan
Panel 1: What will the university do to meet its new commitments?
Chair and interviewer: Kaya Axelsson, Net Zero Policy Engagement Fellow Panellists:
- David Prout, Pro-Vice Chancellor, Oxford
- Malcolm McCulloch, Professor of Engineering Science
- Harriet Waters, Head of Environmental Sustainability, University of Oxford
- Ellie Holton, Oxford Climate Society and a student at New College
- E.J. Milner-Gulland, Professor of Biodiversity, University of Oxford
Short break – video from Oxford students talking about environmental sustainability
4.15pm Oxford Networks for the Environment (ONE): Jim Hall, Professor of Climate and Environmental Risk
ONE briefing and introduction to the Annual ONE Keynote Lecture
Keynote lecture: Yadvinder Malhi, Professor of Ecosystems Science, University of Oxford
Perspectives on humanity within a finite biosphere: from planetary to local
Panel 2: How is the university contributing to local, national and global goals?
Chair and interviewer: Fiona Harvey, Environmental Journalist, The Guardian newspaper
- Myles Allen, Professor of Geosystem Science, University of Oxford
- Cameron Hepburn, Professor of Environmental Economics, University of Oxford
- Nathalie Seddon, Professor of Biodiversity, University of Oxford
- Guido Schmidt Traub, Partner, Systemiq Earth Ltd
- Kate Norgrove, Executive Director, World Wildlife Fund UK
- Barbara Hammond, Chief Executive, Low Carbon Hub, Oxford
- Claire Perry O’Neill, Managing Director, World Business Council for Sustainable Development
Closing remarks: Jim Hall, ONE Network